Sign in to follow this  
Eevo

Reduce the speed limit on the SE freeway to 80km/h - tollgate to tunnels!

i have seriously considered getting a big orange sticker that i can stick on my rear window that says exactly that........

get infront of someone in the rh lane then just sit there for 30 seconds so they can read it nice and good

They dont even look in their mirrors, most people are in their own little world. So no they will not see a sign.

get infront of someone in the rh lane then just sit there for 30 seconds so they can read it nice and good

They dont even look in their mirrors, most people are in their own little world. So no they will not see a sign.

Indeed. Im at work lol.. other things going on.

if im doing the speed limit in the right hand lane, and i come up on someone doing less than the speed limit for no reason, and they can go to the left lane, i give them 5 seconds

they get a flash of spotties

then they get the dose of spotties until they move

some call it road rage, i call it abiding by the law. If a mirror full of bullbar and spotties at 80-100kph doesnt give you the message, 200w of pencil beam should do the trick

alternatively, i keep left unless its necessary for me to be right out there

Pencil beam must be the secret.

I was in a 4WD with spotties on flashing like mad behind a guy doing 85 in the RH lane, sat there from the tunnels to the traffic lights without getting the picture.

Pencil beam must be the secret.

I was in a 4WD with spotties on flashing like mad behind a guy doing 85 in the RH lane, sat there from the tunnels to the traffic lights without getting the picture.

yeah, its a size and aim thing. funny thing i have aimed my spotties for max distance on flat roads, seems perfect with my lift that they aim smack at most inner rear vision mirrors :lol:

Why reduce the speed? Why not increase the skill of the 0.1% of drivers that have the problem.

How many drivers pass through there without a crash/problem? 5000 per day?

1 dick head screws it up for everyone...

I don't have faith in the governing bodies, I reckon they will reduce it

I was there yesterday morning in my tow truck. The driver of the semi was a new comer to driving and he missed his gear at the top of the hill and couldnt get it back in.

So it was not "brake failure" it was over use of brakes.

and In a truck, its "lose of control of vehicle" if you use ya brakes to much on a hill

long story short, 1 mistake cost someone there life. Only way to stop it, mabye 1 last arrester bed at the very bottom. thats if they use it.

Wow the entire country needs to learn from goofy, that was 100% spot on.

300m before the crash there was an arrester bed. There is no way he wouldnt have known his brakes weren't shot before that last arrester bed.....specially if he had been trying to slow down from the top of teh hill. One look in the rear view mirror would have shown all the smoke coming off the brakes.

i cant see why he didnt use it. he would have already been in the left lane, all he had to do was straighten the wheel instead of turning to the right....

i once saw a commo in the contry with a sticker on the top of his windscreen (much like the buddy parts ones) that said keep left unless overtaking!! maybe we should get some made up haha

I was there yesterday morning in my tow truck. The driver of the semi was a new comer to driving and he missed his gear at the top of the hill and couldnt get it back in.

So it was not "brake failure" it was over use of brakes.

and In a truck, its "lose of control of vehicle" if you use ya brakes to much on a hill

long story short, 1 mistake cost someone there life. Only way to stop it, mabye 1 last arrester bed at the very bottom. thats if they use it.

okay, "green" at the truck driving game as you say.

misses a gear at the top of the hill...........first rule if you can get it down a gear, go back to the one you were in

sounds like in that case he was on a suicide mission after missing that, he would have been "angel gearing" (neutral) down the hill. theres 2 arrester beds if he'd missed a gear right at the top (one before the tunnels and the one just up from the crash)

and if he tried to shift up on the descent (picked too slow a gear and try to sneak it up one), he's done the wrong thing. dont touch the clutch once on the descent :whack:

Got told today that he has survived, but lost both legs and 1 arm. was first time on our hill.

Angel geared all the way, Didnt see the arrestor bed I belive. was panicing to much to realise they were there.

Im still green to the industry, but they really hammered in training the importence of correct gear chaging before decents. 5th high was perfect for the semi I was training in,

I was made to do the freeway decent 10 times before I passed my hills driving test.

So morol of the story seems, driver training, not yearly inspections, not speed limit cuts, not by passes, and not curfews on trucks. There are all things that have been suggested.

mostly by "highly experienced" office workers mind you.

and he has to live with the thourght of he killed someone, and will be charged with some form of Manslurghter.

yep, Id rather die. Poor guy.

Damn, such a basic mistake with such heavy consequences.

This event would be a perfect example to use when pushing the idea of increased driver education in all areas.

Here's some training from goofy for those that can't use a freeway properly:

Also an article on how raising the speed limits would make for safer highways by head of safety at Mercedes Benz

haha just showed that to my girlfriend!! she didnt see a problem with sitting in the left lane... untill now! cheers for linking that up

I live up in the hills, and i cant stand driving on the freeway in peak hour because people have no f**king clue how to use it. If your not over taking, get the f**k out of the right lane. So i catch the bus to and from work, i tell you it is the best way to travel if you can. No stress, no dealing with retard drivers.

Except for today when the bus drivers were on strike and i had to drive, it was so bullshit because the limit was down to 80km, so people thought that meant do what ever speed you want because i spent the whole trip doing 65-75km, due to some f**ker not moving it the middle lane. :whack:

Agreed that driver training needs to be address, but i doubt that will happen.

lol once again, crashes on the freeway this morning. *swearing filters own me* people fail. Its those kents that jump in the gap you;ve left to the next car. oh its just enough room for my car ill squeeze in.

Why reduce the speed? Why not increase the skill of the 0.1% of drivers that have the problem.

How many drivers pass through there without a crash/problem? 5000 per day?

1 dick head screws it up for everyone...

I don't have faith in the governing bodies, I reckon they will reduce it

I live up in the hills, and i cant stand driving on the freeway in peak hour because people have no f**king clue how to use it. If your not over taking, get the f**k out of the right lane. So i catch the bus to and from work, i tell you it is the best way to travel if you can. No stress, no dealing with retard drivers.

Except for today when the bus drivers were on strike and i had to drive, it was so bullshit because the limit was down to 80km, so people thought that meant do what ever speed you want because i spent the whole trip doing 65-75km, due to some f**ker not moving it the middle lane. :whack:

Agreed that driver training needs to be address, but i doubt that will happen.

The limit already goes down when its raining, which is BS. Going up the freeway at 80 kms an hour just because the road is a little bit wet, with no other cars in sight at 1 am made me think WTF?.

Funny thing is, its 80 in the well lit bits, but then its 110 after the mt lofty exit in the same conditions except not in a lit area.

Its just the idiots who ruin it for everyone, and then people want to "TAKE ACTION" but end up doing the stupidest thing possible. If I were to go and buy 5 bottles of vodka and drink myself to death, nobody would call for a change in alcohol laws. But got forbid someone dies on our roads! Shock horror. Call me a sadist if you would, but I take a utilitarian view and think 1 person dying every now and then on our roads isn't really a big deal. It's worth it for the productivity of everyone being able to make it to a destination at a quick speed. Rather than have everyone driving at a snails pace.

Cars of today are safer and roads are getting better (arguable), so if anything we need to raise speed limits. But if the road toll is higher, with safer cars obviously we have worse drivers. Therefore, eliminate the driver factor and ensure appropriate driver training.

earlier this year a civil engineer actually came and spoke to the people in my course about road design, and i actually asked him afterwards about the freeway. he told me that road was originally built and engineered for the speed limit of 110km/h. the curve radius, run off area, banking of the curves, median strips and safety margins were all designed for 110. now this doesn't mean 110 is the max speed that can be travelled at, it means that 110 is the SAFE speed at which it can be travelled at.

reducing the speed to 80 would just be an absolute joke. you just can't cater for all the retards out there, otherwise there'd be no roads at together

Also an article on how raising the speed limits would make for safer highways by head of safety at Mercedes Benz

haha just showed that to my girlfriend!! she didnt see a problem with sitting in the left lane... untill now! cheers for linking that up

she is right, there is no problem sitting in the left lane......thats what everyone should be doing, unless overtaking.

that film was made in America, hence the left lane is the fast lane, in America you should stay out of the left lane........exactly like you should stay out of the RIGHT lane in Aus.

:doh:

I don't get upset at anybody on the freeway. I do the speed limit as my minimum speed and so usually sit in the right hand lane, as most people seem to sit under or dead on it, so in effect i'm always overtaking. I also let speeding people through as that's their choice. If i come across a slow poke in this lane, I always have and always will pass on the left safely (indicate, check that it's clear, etc etc) without even raising a finger at them, as there's no point. The keep left unless overtaking rule applies on any multi lane road which has a speed limit of 80kmh or higher, just to clarify it for some. Reducing the speed limit will only increase road rage between people.

she is right, there is no problem sitting in the left lane......thats what everyone should be doing, unless overtaking.

that film was made in America, hence the left lane is the fast lane, in America you should stay out of the left lane........exactly like you should stay out of the RIGHT lane in Aus.

Yeah forgot to mention that it was target at people in the US, thought it would have been sort of obvious from the beginning of the video.

Going slow in the left lane is a problem too though, as the speed differential causes big problems for everyone doing a reasonable speed - its in the video too.

If people want to go slow they should take another road or just catch public transport.